Introducing Our Programmes
Introducing Our Programmes
Ōtūmoetai College is a large school of 2000 students that offers a wide range of courses, to meet the individual needs of all our students. This includes specialist courses such as: Art Photography, Automotive Studies, Business, Electronics, Fashion and Design, Hospitality, Marine Studies, Outdoor Education, and Performing Arts.
Special English Programme for ESL Students
- A special English programme designed for the students to be “mainstreamed with language support”.
- These classes include:
- 3 levels of Reading, Writing and Grammar.
- Conversation class – aiming to help students to develop greater confidence in speaking.
- Curriculum Support – to assist students with the language of their mainstream subjects.
- At Ōtūmoetai College there is a Sports Office that is fully staffed and is led by the Director of Sport. The responsibility of the Sports Office is to promote sport in the school and to assist students in joining in.
- Ōtūmoetai College has over 40 different sports available for students to join.
- Sport is organised by term and season.
|TERM 1 and TERM 4||Swimming, Tennis, Golf, Athletics, Cricket, Touch Rugby, Volleyball, Beach Volleyball, Surfing and Water Polo|
|TERM 2 and TERM 3||Swimming, Tennis, Golf, Table Tennis, Badminton, Basketball, Football, Hockey, Netball and Rugby|
- Students have the opportunity to join a variety of cultural activities. A particular strength is in the field of the Performing Arts: Activities include: Orchestra, Choirs, Bands, and Kapa Haka.
- There are also opportunities to be involved in the various musical and drama productions.To be part of the annual Ōtūmoetai College International Food Festival – a community event.
- The International Department organises several educational trips during the year including:
- Rotorua – a cultural, natural and adrenalin focus.
- To a “big” Rugby match in Hamilton – Go the Mighty Chiefs.
- Waitomo – a natural focus. Visit the famous Caves and Bird Sanctuary.
- Some learning areas also have Field Trips e.g. Geography, Science and Outdoor Education.
Special End of Year Programme for International Students
- This is made available for our senior students who are not entered into the national examinations.
- The activities programme is run over 3 school weeks.
- This programme provides the students with an opportunity to enjoy the great outdoors in a local setting.
- The programme of activities can vary from year to year, but generally includes:
- Cycling in the Redwood Forest (Rotorua)
- Visit Wingspan National Bird of Prey Centre (Rotorua)
- Adrenalin Forest – High ropes
- Surfing Lesson (Mount Maunganui)
- Blokarting (Papamoa)
- Overnight Bush Experience (Kaimai Forest Park and Hot springs)
- Waimarino (Kayaking and Longboarding on the Wairoa River)